If you're searching the internet to find out how to care for a beard, you’ve arrived…
If you have a beard, chances are you’ve heard about beard oil from many different sources. But so much of the information out there is conflicting and confusing. How to use beard oil? How much should I use? How often should I use it?
We get it; it’s confusing. The great news is that you’ve come to the right place to learn how to use beard oil.
Men growing beards have found that organic, top-shelf beard oil is an excellent choice for a healthier and stronger beard. Daily use of beard oil can lead to wonderful results for a brittle and dry beard.
Benefits of Beard Oil
Before we get into how to use beard oil, let’s talk about its benefits.
The idea of using all-natural oils for beard grooming isn’t new; beard oil has been around for longer than people realize. Our ancestors have used various natural oils for millennia to improve the looks of their beards and their hair.
Nowadays, we know that beard oils have antioxidants and vitamins to help promote healthier facial hair and skin. Some oils also have anti-microbial qualities. High-quality beard oil can even help prevent itchy skin from beard dandruff and can prevent breakouts.
Additional benefits of beard oil include:
- Promotes beard hair growth
- Reduces irritation of the skin
- Makes grooming easier
- Softer and fuller beard
- Tough, more durable beard
High-quality beard oil also works to balance the pH of your hair and skin while also activating the sebaceous glands in your skin to promote the production of natural oils.
The essential oils used in premium beard oil will support your keratin levels and improve your circulation so your beard will grow stronger.
How to Use Beard Oil
It is best to apply beard oil directly after taking a hot shower, and you’ve cleaned your beard. This is the time that your beard will absorb the most oil.
Additionally, your beard should be dry because water will prevent the oil from being absorbed. Make sure that you’re patting your beard dry and not aggressively rubbing a towel on your beard. Now that your beard is clean and dry, it’s time to apply the beard oil:
- Put around three drops of the beard oil into your palm. Remember that a little goes a long way, and you can always add more if you need it.
- Spread the oil evenly in your fingers and palms.
- Once the oil is distributed, brush your palms along the sides of your beard. Do the same down the front of your beard.
- Bring both hands up through your beard, making sure that your fingers are getting deep into your beard hair. Use your fingertips to coat the hairs of your mustache.
- Use a beard comb to distribute the oil evenly and set the hairs back into place.
- Repeat these six steps every day to keep your beard conditioned and soft.
How Much Do I Use?
Figuring out how much beard oil to use shouldn’t take any guesswork. The thickness and length of your beard should determine how much oil you’ll need:
- New beards, up to one month of growth – three to four drops
- One to three months of growth – four to six drops
- Three to 12 months of growth – six to 10 drops
- One year and more of growth – 10 drops and up
The above numbers are just a guide. You will find the best amount of oil to use through trial and error. Remember that you can always start with less oil and use more as needed. Also, that oil doesn’t evaporate as water does, so too much oil can lead to your beard dripping.
How Often Do I Use Beard Oil?
The most straightforward answer to this question is that you can apply the beard oil as often as you want, depending on how your beard feels throughout the day. If it feels dry and brittle in the afternoon, apply some beard oil.
How Long Does Beard Oil Last?
The answer to this question will depend on your day’s activity level and your grooming habits.
Generally, you should use beard oil twice a day, at least.
After taking a hot shower in the morning, apply some beard oil. When you get home at night and wash your face before going to bed, use beard oil.
However, if you’re active during the day and end up sweating a lot, you’ll want to apply beard oil after your post-workout shower. Remember that every day should be an oil day and that it’s normal to use it more than twice a day.
- Daily use of beard oil will help promote beard growth. Having a clean face, and regularly using beard oil will allow your body to grow more facial hair.
- When it’s hot outside, oil can act like sunscreen for your beard hair, so it doesn’t get dry and break.
- Use beard oil before going swimming so that the chlorine doesn’t dry out your beard hair.
Remember that the essential oils in your beard oil are very vulnerable when it comes to heat. The heat can cause a degradation of their effectiveness, which could potentially harm the proteins in your beard. So, store your beard oil at room temperature, and you’ll be all set.
It’s not surprising that our ancestors would experiment with essential oils, such as pomegranate oil, sunflower oil, argan oil, marula oil, olive oil and many others, trying to find the best combination that worked for their beards. It might have taken hundreds of years to get the combination right, but the good news is that now there are several brands making very good beard oil.
If you how to use beard oil and you know why it’s so important to use it, you’re ahead of the game. Your beard will look fuller, feel softer, and be healthier just because you used the six steps listed above to apply beard oil. That’s all it takes! Six simple steps to apply beard oil, and all of the benefits are yours.